you'll find my heart at my center of gravity; wrapped up in laughter, school work, and tragedy

Sunday, June 11, 2006

happy one hundred

this is my 100th post. jerry did a special intro for his hundredth show, so, i think i'm entitled.

the question i'm pondering tonight, and hopefully this blog entry will stick with you, and be recalled every time you find yourself lucky enough to smell a campfire...

but i'm wondering if it's a universal truth, or if it's just me, but: every time i smell wood burning, specifically that campfire smell, i think about big things. i think about God, or the stars, or how the universe was really formed, or about what happens to us after we die... and i am willing to concede that the smell of a campfire or bonfire is generally only experienced with a few beers or drinks in one's belly, and maybe that's part of it... but tonight, driving home from Harris's house, i could smell that bonfire smell on Woodward. and, it made me consider the lifelong effects of things that transpired this weekend, and whether or not i am currently experiencing things that could become part of the rest of my life. i found myself pondering my place in the world, and how i spent my day... did it add anything to the universe? did it better the plight of mankind in any way? and these thoughts are intermixed with "apply brake," " use turn signal" kind of commands that my brain is really consumed with during driving. and i can't help but think that the smell of someone's bonfire triggered those thoughts.

so, my question for you to ponder, dear reader, is this: is it something inherent to the smell of wood being consumed by the process of combustion, or is it learned behavior, that really, the smell of a bonfire only forces us to recall those times in our lives when we've pondered these questions, and associate our current thought processes along those same lines...?

whatever the answer, i like what that smell does to me, and i like to discuss it. so, please, discuss............

-s

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home