you'll find my heart at my center of gravity; wrapped up in laughter, school work, and tragedy

Friday, February 24, 2006

heed the cup

april 10th, 2006. 1:05 P.M.
tickets go on sale March 11th, 2006.

i cannot wait. i must spend more time there this year. my bones are soft from lack of nitrates, nitrates found only in hot dogs. my soul is weak from lack of draft beer sold in big plastic commemorative cups. my heart is empty from not seeing the sun go down behind the buildings in too long. the eternal hope this time of year brings. the little belief that this really is The Year.



Opening Day is a time to either freeze your ass off AND drink your ass off, or just drink your face off. This particular year (I believe it to be 2003?) it was cold, but i had a liquid heater flowing through my veins. this woman happened to sit in front of us, and was more drunk than i was. her only requirement in looking for a man was: "you have hair?" Thus, "heed the cup."


i generally also bring my car out of hibernation on Opening Day. that truly makes it the best day of the year. by the end of the summer, i always learn to take my car for granted. it's just another car, and just another driving experience. fast and fun, but nothing like it is that first day you bring her out... watching the tach calibrate when you first start the car, seeing the instrument panel come to life. hearing the exhaust rumble. feeling how cold the shifter is from being out in the garage all winter. that first day, and for the beginning of spring and summer, every movie i've missed, and every meal that i've eaten at home alone becomes worth it.

sleep well my darling. you will breathe fire again soon....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home