you'll find my heart at my center of gravity; wrapped up in laughter, school work, and tragedy

Friday, March 10, 2006

Lobsterfest

So, I finally got around to getting an allergy screening.
There is, unfortunately, no screening test for Ibuprofen, so I just need to avoid that.
I am, however, extremely allergic to lobster, shrimp, and crab. Also to scallops, clams, oysters, and other mollusks. I was cleared for tuna, salmon, and cod, and from those tests the allergist felt comfortable with perch, and other fresh-water fish. So, bring on the friday night fish fry, but I'll pass on the lobster bisque.

They rate allergic reactions on a scale from 1-4. 4 being "highly reactive." They poke you with the little pins, and set a timer for 5 minutes. A 3-4 type reaction will appear after 5 minutes. A 1-2 reaction will develop after about 15 minutes. After a total of 15 minutes, if there is no reaction, then you're cleared for that substance. When the 5 minute buzzer when off, the nurse didn't even make it all the way into the room before she exclaimed: "holy crap! you're lit up like a Christmas tree!"

The lobster was a "four-plus" and the shrimp was a 4.

It's weird... it's been over 12 years I'd say since I tasted a piece of shrimp. But even now, if I think about it hard enough, I swear I can feel my mouth start to tingle a little bit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...there'll be no accusations, just friendly crustaceans...

Saturday, March 11, 2006 7:33:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

found your blog.
does this mean that you will remember where your epi pen is?
-k

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:17:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home