you'll find my heart at my center of gravity; wrapped up in laughter, school work, and tragedy

Thursday, March 09, 2006

the latest, and thus, best

DCFC.
I bought sight-unheard the album before this latest one.
It's called Transatlanticism. Actually, that's not entirely true. I had heard one song from TAism several years ago. Anyway, I digress.
The music has really grown on me. I mean, I liked it the first time I heard it, but over the last few days it's kindof grown into me.

This morning I read the lyrics. There were a few gems that I had undoubtedly picked up on my repeated listenings over the past few days, but this is a whole other ballgame. I think Benjamin Gibbard... I don't know how to put it. He writes exactly like I want to. It's like I've commissioned him to write these songs for me. Every song on TAism is like this. There's no Skp-Song here...

This may be a bit premature, but I have a feeling I will be bumping one of my Big 5 to make room for DCFC. ('But Scott! After one album!?!?') I know, I know. But it's the right time and the right place, you know? I mean, listen to this:

Our youth is fleeting, old age is just around the bend and I can't wait to go gray
And I'll sit and wonder of every love that could have been
If I'd only thought of something charming to say
This is the sound of settling.

you can't front on that.

1 Comments:

Blogger e_prime said...

I do not think that your writing is that far off the skills of Mr. Gibbard. His skill is due to the fact that he's got a long running band, with editors on hand, and sonically they've got a built in producer. With that being said, I think some of their earlier stuff is more true.

I have not heard their latest album. It's inevitable that I will eventually add it to my collection, but it's flown under my interest radar thusfar.

Their album before TAism, The Photo Album includes some songs I could've seen you write -- Blacking Out the Friction, for example:

"I don't mind the weather, I've got scarves and caps, and sweaters. I've got long-johns under slacks for blustery days."

Also, A First album gem:

Champagne From A Paper Cup
----
I think I'm drunk enough to drive you home
I'll keep my mouth kept shut under lock and key
that's rusted firm, no lie
cause all these conversations wind on and on....

drinking champagne from a paper cup
is never quite the same
and ever sip's moving through my eyes
and up into my brain
at half past two; about time to leave
'cause the dj's paying rhythm and blues
a sad-sorry state; stutter step to those slammin' groooves
as i'm waiting around for you...

Monday, March 13, 2006 9:02:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home